GENESIS OF DAVANTAGE
- For 10 years, members of the Brothers of Charity, who were studying at Catholic University of America (CUA) in Washington, volunteered with established non-profit service organizations such as So Others May Eat (SOME) and Catholic Charities.
- In 2015, it became clear that a more structured and sustainable approach could have more impact. The Brothers of Charity of USA region invited Brother Stan (Constant Goetschalckx) to Washington.
- He started DAVANTAGE as an autonomous non-profit organization that works in partnership with the Brothers of Charity who continue to offer 200 years of expertise and experience.
BROTHERS OF CHARITY
- The Brothers of Charity is a Catholic congregation of religious men who, since 1807, have devoted themselves to serving the homeless, refugees, and others in about 32 countries. The congregation provides social services in the fields of education, special needs, and mental health care.
- In 1868, based in Philadelphia, the Brothers began offering such services in the United States.
- Further, since 1996, the Brothers of Charity have had a special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council as an international organization that works in the key areas of education, mental health care, and the care of people with physical and mental disabilities. www.brothersofcharity.org
BROTHER STAN GOETSCHALCKX
- Brother Stan, member of the Brothers of Charity, has lived for 1973 with the poor in many different environments, mostly in Africa and Asia.
- Since 1993, he has been active in emergency-situations serving refugees.
- In 1997, he founded the AHADI International Institute for Distance Learning in Tanzania; before 2008 the Institute offered yearly high school education to more than 25,000 refugees originating from the war-torn countries of Congo, Rwanda, and Burundi. In 2007, Brother Stan was honored with the $1.0 million Opus Prize for his work at the AHADI Institute. Today the institute continues working for peace through education in the Refugee camps in Western Tanzania.
DAVANTAGE IMPORTANT DATES
- 2017 June : initial meeting DAVANTAGE
- 2017 October 12 : Fatima House : 1622 Lamont St. NW, Washington, D.C.
- 2017 December 29 : creation meeting DAVANTAGE as corporation
- 2018 February 16 : registration of DAVANTAGE with IRS as Corporation
- 2018 July 26 : sending request to IRS for tax exemption
- 2018 September : Caritas Opportunity Shop : 7716 Georgia Ave, NW, D.C.
- 2018 November : Elizabeth House :1502 Park Rd. NW, Washington, D.C.
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
DAVANTAGE – BROTHERS OF CHARITY.
- DAVANTAGE offers a formal structure for the outreach of Brothers of Charity in Washington DC. Brothers of Charity offer expertise of 200 years in social work.
- Brothers of Charity are active and incorporated in USA since 1868. They are the USA region of the congregation of the Brothers of Charity founded in Belgium in 1807 for the service of the people in need. www.brothersofcharity.org
- Worldwide Brothers of Charity are active in 32 countries. They serve in the field of education, special needs, mental health care, social care (homeless, refugees, etc.) etc.
- As international organisation Brothers of Charity is consulting member of the social council of UN. www.fracarita-international.org
DAVANTAGE – SACRED HEART DINNERPROGRAM.
- DAVANTAGE offers new opportunities to the dinnerprogram for achieving its goals of housing, social services, etc. The dinnerprogram offers expertise and material support to DAVANTAGE;
- The Dinner Program is the outreach of the Sacred Heart Parish to the homeless present at Columbia Heights and Mount Pleasant. The program started many years ago and is solidly established.
- Synergy of both organisations increases efficiency and profits the homeless. www.dinnerprogram.org