- On February 15, 2018 DAVANTAGE was registered as a Corporation with EIN (Employer Identity Number ) 82-481297
- On July 26, 2018 DAVANTAGE has applied for thet status of Non-Profit Organisation (501c3) and is awaiting receipt of the IRS tax status determination letter.
- In the interim, the Brothers of Charity, Inc. act as “financial sponsor” for DAVANTAGE, Inc. The EIN of Brothers of Charity, Inc is 23-1933724.
The IDENTITY of DAVANTAGE
- DAVANTAGE IS an autonomous private organization established in Washington DC with goal to walk with and assist in an authentic and innovative way the homeless and other people in need, and doing this with a particular sensitivity for persons with special needs and/or experiencing PTS (post trauma stress) such as homeless veterans from U.S. armed forces..
The NAME of DAVANTAGE
- The name, “DAVANTAGE,” comes from the French saying of St. Vincent de Paul: J’aurai pu faire davantage (I could have done more).
- Therefore DAVANTAGE cries out today : “Yes, we can do davantage ! Yes, we can do more!.
- Website : www.wecandodavantage.org
The VISION of DAVANTAGE
- DAVANTAGE BELIEVES THAT all people are called to be free, happy and to live a good life. Because all people are born with equal human dignity and in mutual responsibility, no person should be left behind to survive in the street. DAVANTAGE believes that homelessness is a stain on society and that it is a shared responsibility for all and call for shared commitment. Yes, we can do DAVANTAGE! Yes, we can always do MORE!
The CORNERSTONE of DAVANTAGE
- Cornerstone for DAVANTAGE is the face-to-face encounter with “The Other”
- Swahili proverb: “Mgeni ni baraka” or who “knocks at the door” is a God-given blessing, not a burden.
- Emmanuel Levinas : The face-to-face of the human encounter establishes a mutual responsibility.
- Peter Joseph Triest : You are responsible for the wholeness and holiness of the stranger knocking at your door, even while you don’t know him/her.
- To accept this responsibility from a specific encounter with a specific person in need contains the seed of the answer and the defining orientation of the “immediate” mission of DAVANTAGE
The MISSION of DAVANTAGE
- DAVANTAGE COMMITS ITSELF TO participate in the eradication of homelessness by welcoming the individual person in need, by listening to her/his needs, by taking up responsibility and making these needs into the mission of the organisation, and working and evolving in a holistic way with the homeless person towards a durable path forward.
- DAVANTAGE COMMITS ITSELF TO welcome “who knocks at the door” and to go forward with that individual person. DAVANTAGE accepts the human relational responsibility and makes the needs of that person into its “immediate and direct mission”. The relation-based non-institutional approach of DAVANTAGE has direct immediate impact on the life of the person, and changes the broader realities of homelessess in the community.
The GOAL of DAVANTAGE
- THE GOAL OF DAVANTAGE is to promote the creation of small, inclusive and integrated communities of belonging and healing where homeless can be welcomed as guests, where they find caring services, and where they can discover new perspectives of life, rebuild self-confidence, take initiative for their lives and develop a spirit of self-reliance and solidarity.
The OBJECTIVES of DAVANTAGE
- TO REACH ITS GOALS DAVANTAGE WILL
- partner with Brothers of Charity (sharing same vision and mission) to initiate, run and guide inclusive communities of hospitality and caring service for homeless, especially for those with special needs and/or having experienced trauma
- participate in the life of the neighbourhood in a spirit of solidarity and shared responsibility
- collaborate with other organisations, public and private, for quality, professionalism, efficiency and synergy.
- take initiatives that build self-reliance, create self-employment, initiate self-help groups and auto-development.
The APPROACH of DAVANTAGE
- holistic : total = involving all dimensions : biological, psychological, social, spiritual)
- grassroot : initiatives root in needs encountered, not in top-bottom planning
- small scale : at scale of human encounters, no institutional bureaucracy
- low profile : staying under the radar, without search for publicity
- restoring ordinary life : healing as fruit of sharing ordinary life of every day
- inclusive & participative : living in a divers community with (not working for) homeless without discrimination, without putting barriers, without exclusion but with special care for the weakest
- integrated : part of the neighborhood
- spirit of self-reliance : self-help breaking dependency
- connecting and professionalism : referrals to appropriate services
The BEACONS for DAVANTAGE
- dignity : unconditionnal respect as basis for true human relations
- creativity : there is always a way .. .we can always do davantage …
- responsibility : each encounter enkindles mutual-responsibility
- universality : transcultural human values : to welcome – to share – to care
- eternity : even the smallest action has a dimension of eternity